Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Problems with Translation and Transformation

One thing that we can never be sure of (unless we fluently speak Spanish) is how accurate this translation is from the original Spanish version. No matter what languages are used and translated, it is impossible to translate a story 100% accurately. It would be interesting to read this novel with a class that spoke both English and Spanish to see how the two compare. My family is Ukrainian and when I was younger I learned how to speak Ukrainian before I knew English. I also took some French in high school and can vouch that if you translated any of these three languages into another, they would have slightly differing meanings. I think that cultural backgrounds could also have an effect on translations in terms of sayings, cultural tendencies, and unique differences.
That being said, I wonder if in there is something in the Spanish culture that could help us better understand the transformation of characters, or the whole "chicken and the egg" situation that has confused all of us. I tried looking up transformations in the Spanish culture but came up empty handed. I suppose this could mean this idea was unique to Fuentes? Either way, as I was thinking about it, I would probably support the idea that Aura came first (like our discussion that the egg must have come first.) In order for Consuelo to make a construct of Aura, she must have needed to know "who" Aura was and how to construct her, which she would only know from previously being her. Consuelo must have missed her youth and yearned for it back in order to know what she wanted. It is still somewhat confusing to how Consuelo was able to make Aura’s ambiance, but I think that her will and persistence was so great that she was able to construct her from her past and imagination. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment