Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Challenging Norms

As I began to read "Aura", I was at first disconcerted by the page layout - I've never just read one side of the book.  It was so odd to me to ignore the entire left side.  I found myself occasionally checking back to make sure I didn't miss anything, just to find that it was a jumble of letters and accents way too complex for my high school spanish knowledge to decipher.
It may be a bit of a stretch, but for me, this was a simple and tangible parallel to a lot of the material that we have discussed in class.  The authors we have read challenge the norm for how to tell a story, Timothy Treadwell challenges our conception of life values, and Brendan Leonard (in the vimeo video "35") challenges us to make dreams come true on a Tuesday.
This class has taught me to step back and challenge what I consider to be 'normal'.  I've challenged myself to reconsider what I think a book should be and how a story should be told, while simultaneously challenging my own conceptions of what society says I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment