Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Individualism

      Reading Aura, it was really interesting to have my actions dictated to me by the book, but the other interesting part was the fact that I felt like I could associate with the author. This got me wondering about how individual we all are. The reason wondered this is because a majority of students here come from well off families in nice, quiet suburbs, and as far as I've seen, from person to person their experiences are by and far very similar. I don't mean to generalize a whole section of the school's population, but what I mean to say is that most of these students worked hard throughout high school, participated in activities such as sports, musical ensembles and student government. Yet throughout high school, I distinctly remember being told and taught that I am an individual; that my experiences are my own and that each person has different experiences. However as I meet more people, I realize that while the individual memories may be different, in general alot of the basic experiences are the same.
      This long and potentially offensive introduction brings me to this point. In terms of social ideas, I feel like a lot of Hamilton Students, conservative and liberal alike, have some similar ideas, however rather than building off of each others common ground, I see each side branding the other side saying that "my" view is correct. This alienation has manifested one side calling the other side a bunch of "radicals" and the other side calling the first side "close-minded bigots". I believe that the Anthem like rise of the "I am an individual" over the "We know each others experiences" has built up this divide which has clearly presented itself with the conflict between Hamilton Conservatives and "The Movement".

No comments:

Post a Comment