Monday, April 7, 2014

So Much For Sleep

As I was reading Aura, I couldn't help but feel like I was experiencing someone's nightmare. The second person narrative played a major role in this; it's an uncommon choice for a writer. One of only other times I have come across this narrative style is when I read A Series of Unfortunate Events about ten years ago. My favorite aspect of this book was by far the feeling of thinking you know what is going on before the protagonist does, only to realize that this scenario is one that belongs in a fantastical category and can't possibly be 'true'. Clues are dropped like breadcrumbs throughout the novel that Aura and the old woman are one and the same, such as their mimicked movements when in the same room. These details make the reader feel like he/she has figured it all out. But how can such a mystical and unlikely occurrence be one that can be predicted? The book is classified as horror and a work of fiction, but in many cases it reminded me of the magical realism of Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera.

In other news, I am getting my tooth for real this time on Wednesday. Unless that's yet another pack of lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment