Tuesday, January 27, 2015

An Occurence In My Head

WOW. 

I learned a few (sad) things about myself as a reader while reading "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge." 

First of all, I realized that a lot of the little notes I squeeze into the margins in an attempt to fully absorb and analyze the text are usually really pointless details. I guess it's normal, but so much of the time I find myself coming to what I believe are really important, interesting conclusions and patterns, that end up being extremely irrelevant. Let me give you an example. I managed to describe on my paper how both the guards and spectators are described like stone, which I decided must mean they are without life and the ability (or desire) to change the present. I went on and on about stones but I did not notice huge hints about the outcome of the story. On page 4, the story reads, "as Peyton Farquhar fell straight downward through the bridge he lost consciousness and was as one already dead." I am somewhat horrified that I am capable of somehow looking over this part of the text where Bierce actually tells me the plot twist at the end that gets everybody so excited. I obviously need to start paying attention to where I am paying attention. Looking back, I think I am more inclined to assume I am wrong and am misunderstanding the author, than to believe the author may be trying to intentionally trick me. My conclusion? I'm a naive reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment