Monday, January 26, 2015

Jokes on Me!


An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce is quite unlike anything I have ever read. I'm not used to reading stories or novels where the author goes through with a large, complex lie (or set of lies) that ends in a "jokes on you!" kind of way. Although in the back of my mind I knew that manipulations and lies were going to play a role in the story, I still believed Bierce's lies up until the very last paragraph. This could be due to me being a super gullible person. Or it could be the trust that I've placed in authors of stories I have read thus far. Or maybe it's because I wanted Peyton Farquhar to successfully escape his execution and survive, so much so that I denied the possibility of any other option.
 
Whatever the reason, reading An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge has showed me that I need to view stories, and ultimately, life, through a more critical, skeptical lens. Otherwise, I am susceptible to manipulation and everything that comes with it. I feel as if this story is just the beginning of my learning to be a more critical thinker. Throughout the course, I hope I can begin to open up my mind to new possibilities and perspectives, and critically analyze information that I am presented with.

No comments:

Post a Comment