Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Internal Manipulation


In class we have talked a lot about how we are manipulated by objects, whether it be by the visual appeal, the labeling, who else has it, etc.  These discussions suggest the object holds the power.  However, often, I think I am manipulated by the meaning I impose on an object, placing some control back with me.  Thus in a way, I am manipulating myself.  Objects become symbolic of certain things with which I associate them.
For example, my swim bag.  It is a plain, navy blue, Speedo, with a yellow scarf-like cloth as a make-shift strap.  Nothing special.  But to me, it is the bag I’ve used since I was eight years old.  It has been to every practice, meet, and water polo game I’ve ever played.  Along with all the memories, I associate it with (among other things) hard work.  When I see it and carry it I am automatically in a certain mindset—excited, focused, prepared.
Another example is food.  In class we talked about how we, as consumers, are easily manipulated by labeling and the people who design the labels.  However, I am also manipulated by what the particular foods make me think of.  For instance, my family never buys the dried snap pea snack because my sister got sick after eating too many of them—so that is what comes to mind when I see that green and white bag.  I always get toffee at Christmas time because it reminds me of my grandma and how we make it from scratch every year.
Is manipulation from within oneself still manipulation?  I think it is because we do not have any control over it.  I cannot help what memories and/or characteristics I associate with what object, nor do I wish I could help it.  These connections each person creates makes the pieces that make up the world more significant to each individual.

3 comments:

  1. Hannah I think you make a good point here--if, at any point, we ourselves are unaware of why we form specific associations with objects then we are falling victim to our own manipulation. I think more frequently than that discrete self-manipulation, however, are the times that we knowingly manipulate ourselves, like when you force yourself to smile when you're sad. The simple action of smiling actually innervates a neural loop that releases a neurotransmitter and makes you feel happier--you can actually succeed in manipulating your own emotions despite being aware of the fact that you were trying to manipulate them in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Hannah! The comment I posted before was intended for a different post! But I completely agree with your point about objects not holding the real power of manipulation. People do project their own unique emotions and experiences on everything, and everyone perceives the world differently due to this subjectivity. So I think you're right in saying that most manipulation is internal and doesn't stem from objects.

    ReplyDelete