Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What are you living for?

In class on Tuesday we talked about sports for a little bit.  Some people were complaining about sports and then some people disliked the culture of their sport.  I have been involved with sports my entire life and I began thinking what my outlooks are on sports, especially lacrosse.  I realized I spend about two and half hours training for lacrosse a day.  I asked myself if really enjoyed doing everything I was doing.  I quickly noticed that I loved every second of it.  Of course there are times running and lifting when it is not that fun, but in the big picture it is the best part of my day.  There is not anything I would rather be doing. 

This leads me to one of the biggest questions I have in my life.  I clearly enjoy playing lacrosse more than doing school work, yet I spend more time doing school work, why?  In high school I focused more on school and it showed.  I was a better student than athlete, yet I would have rather been a better athlete.  I know the term is student-athlete, but that is not what makes me happy.  I know it makes my parents happy because they would much rather see A’s on a report card than game winning goals.  I question everyday if I am doing the right thing.  I wonder if I should spend just a little bit more time training and a little less doing work.  Each day I want to chase what I love more and more.  I do not want to look back in four years and think that I missed something that made me happier than anything.  I am currently living my life for the future (med-school), while I could be enjoying every second of it now by living my life for what is currently happening.  I feel people have that something they want to do and then are pressured to do something else.  It is hard to fight those pressures because in the long run those things that you are pressured into are probably better, but those things you love won’t last forever and I think it is important that every person fights for that one thing they want more than anything else, no matter the circumstances.  

No comments:

Post a Comment