Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Goodbye Blog Post

It seems like just yesterday that we were signing up for courses. I remember not knowing anything about this course and solely choosing it because it was writing intensive and when looking at the reading list, I knew I liked Vonnegut and I had been wanting to read The Things They Carried. I had no idea that this course would be what it is, and the course description does not do this class justice....though I am not sure a course description could. But I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon this, and that this has been my first experience with english classes at Hamilton. I owe this a lot to Janelle for captaining our ship but also to the rest of the class for sailing it. I will miss the unique dynamic of our class and insightful and hilarious discussions. I actually will miss blogging and the enjoyment of reading other's posts and seeing what people had to say about my thoughts.

So as I fondly reflect over this semester and think about what I have learned, the ways my perspective has changed, and how I have grown as a student, I think my main takeaway from this class is to take risks, and be confident in taking those risks. There are risks to telling the truth, and there are risks to telling lies. There are risks to being manipulated, and there are risks to manipulating. But being confident in what we do is all that we can ask for. It is up to each individual to determine their own learning path, and whether we travel along it by manipulating others or being perfectly honest, does not matter. All that matters is that we strive to take our learning process into our own hands and be confident in the risks and choices we make along the way.

So I leave with one last quote that I saw when watching How I Met Your Mother to procrastinate finals studying: "A lie is just a great story that someone ruined with the truth"- Barney Stinson

It's been real.

No comments:

Post a Comment