Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Lie to Yourself, Not to Others

If the only effect of a few small lies is my increased happiness, then I see no problem in utilizing these "foma." As long as I am not affecting others, either directly or indirectly, then constructing a small, happier reality does not seem unhealthy. Obviously, I would not want to get lost in this new reality, and be unable to return to my original state, where I had tasks to complete, and connections with others to uphold.

Does the same hold true when we are lying to others to preserve their happiness? If I deem the truth harmful in a situation, can I simply withhold it? At first, I didn't see any problem with this. It is similar to withholding the truth from myself. I am maintaining the happiness of others by creating a reality in which unnecessarily truths do not exist. After a little more consideration, I realized that this is not at all fair. We each have the right to determine how much, or how little, of the truth we want to accept. I cannot make that decision for others. In Cat's Cradle, the Books of Bokonon were available to everyone, but they were never forced upon anyone. If you wanted to use the foma to better your life, you had the power to make that decision. Constructing someone else's reality for them leaves them with no choice. They are unaware that they are being lied to, and are unable to deconstruct this new reality if they so choose. You can only make the decision to accept foma into your own way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment