Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Actively Working Towards Happiness

If I'm being completely honest, the Sarah Jillings meeting kind of freaked me out a bit. (Though I am not sure if that is a bad thing). Sometimes I think I need to be scared in order to change. I guess what shook me was the realization, or reaffirmation of the knowledge, that happiness is attainable through careful calculation. If you have survival, safety, acceptance, you can have high self-esteem and be a fully realized human being. Happiness is something you need to actively work towards. It doesn't just happen.
When she asked the class what we think attributes most to human happiness, four of the groups (mine included) said relationships. Sarah then explained the concept of marbles and how healthy relationships have both parties constantly placing "marbles in the jar." I guess I never really thought about it that way. Being a person that, as cheesy as it sounds, goes "with the flow" a lot of the time, I was opened to a different way of looking at relationships. Intentionally putting "marbles" into relationships strengths the bonds you have and leads to better shared experience. I guess I realized I can be a little more deliberate in my relationships.
What freaked me out was probably the realization that I am pretty far away right now from being a full self-actualized person. Self-esteem, self doubt, these are very real obstacles for me, and I'm sure a lot of people. When you can garner control over that (and it's easier said than done) you actually start working toward being fully actualized. I guess I am just hoping that I'm not stuck right now and am actively working to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment