Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What Makes Me Happy

I really enjoyed Sarah Jilling's self-actualization workshop last week. It made me really think about what my happiness is and if I have achieved it. I realized that I am very happy and mostly grateful to be at Hamilton College. I didn't expect to come to Hamilton at all, but after being here for a semester now, I am so glad I ended up here at Hamilton.

I think it was interesting that most of our class said one of the most important factors that contribute to happiness was relationships. I strongly agree with this because I have had an amazing experience here at Hamilton thanks to the great friends I have met and the great professors I have had as well. Although I have never had such a tough schedule with classes, jobs and clubs, I feel a positive stress as opposed to the negative stress I experienced at my competitive high school. I think having a solid groups of friends is really important. My days are significantly better from just being around them all the time. I really liked the marbles in the jar analogy that Sarah Jillings mentioned. I realized that my friends truly get so excited for each other's successes all the time and I am so glad to have that support here. At home, I have an amazing support system as well, but it is much different. I have to worry more about the bills, my loans, taxes, etc. and at Hamilton (although I do worry about that), it is not constantly on my mind.

I am not really sure what I want to do with my life at all. I am pre-med but not because my parents told me to be. My parents have never suggested I go pre-med and have always supported me in whatever I did. The only thing they really stressed growing up was sports. Although I started sports due to my brother and parents, I am really glad they pushed me down that direction. I loved having a sports-oriented family. I learned so much from team sports, made amazing friends and it really brought my family close together through constant tournament traveling. I bring this up because sometimes things are forced, but I end up truly enjoying them. After the workshop, I realized I am not sure what I really like. I like a lot of things, I laugh at almost everything, and I find happiness from very small things. I like being outdoors, community service, food, sleeping, puppies, but I feel as if I haven't found my real "passion." This is why I am glad Sarah Jillings told us that she was a business major at Hamilton and has completely changed her mind since then. I still don't know what I want to do or what makes me truly happy but now I am more aware about where I am. Like this workshop, this class has made me more aware about what I am reading and what I chose to believe and why.

3 comments:

  1. As i mentioned in my blog post as well, I was intrigued at the workshop! It helped me re-evaluate my life and how it was going. Just like you, I am also on the path for pre-med. Growing up, I was fascinated with how the human body works. On top of that, helping people was another major factor that led me to chase my dreams of one day becoming a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's freaking me out how much I relate to this post... I never really expected to come to Hamilton either, but I'm so glad I decided to put all my marbles in the Hamilton jar (if that makes sense). It makes a lot of sense that relationships are a big deal in the context of Hamilton- I've found that because since it's such a [relatively] small community, strong relationships are a key aspect of being a student here. I'm pre-med too, and I've never felt pressured into it either. I agree with Henry that there is something wholesome in the concept of working in medicine, and Sarah Jilling's presentation really helped reinforce that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with many things you said. I can relate to this post. I have not found my true passions yet. I also laugh at everything and love and appreciate the small things. Honestly, I get nervous when people ask me questions like "what do you want to do in the future?" or even "what are your hobbies?" I feel like my answers are very inadequate or lame because I'm not an athletic person and I'm not very artistic. The things I like are spending time with friends and family, being outside, helping others, and I like playing the guitar and taking photos. But I feel as I can't call any of those my "passions", and that honestly scares me a lot.

    ReplyDelete