Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Self-actualization Workshop

              Even though I had already participated in the self-actualization workshop we did with Sarah Jillings previously in the year, I still got so much out of it. When I went to her workshop the first time, I was in my first semester of college and I had my life even less figured out than I do now, which isn’t saying much. Nonetheless, I feel like I got even more out of the workshop the second time around. I think it is really important to think about what I am passionate about and realize which environments I thrive in and which feelings I want to evoke. In terms of my future, I’m at a loss of what I want to pursue, other than something in the realm of psychology. The workshop helped me realize that I love to work with kids, and I love to work in environments where I can be a leader and empower others, like I currently do at my camp.

              My favorite part of the workshop was when we found the picture that resonates with us the most. Without thinking of what others will think, we grabbed something that we gravitated towards. And when we talked about why we chose it, it relayed important things about ourselves that we may not have realized before. I also really enjoyed the 1 minute life stories. Although I was sort of at a loss of what to talk about for one whole minute, I think it shows what is most important to a person. In this way, it is easier to get to know someone when you learn what is most important to them, or key events in their life. The workshop has helped me to start thinking about things in different ways.

2 comments:

  1. I also really liked the picture portion of the workshop last Friday. When I saw mine it definitely jumped out at me, but I didn't grab it right away. I wanted to keep looking to see if I found one that suited me better. But I kept getting drawn back to the one I originally liked. I find it interesting how we all could get such different things out of the pictures. I could have chosen another one and said something completely different than someone who chose the same one. It definitely says a lot about what we all find most important in life, or what can have a large impact on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the picture activity as well. What I think makes it work is that it is very rushed and we don't have time to calculate in our minds what we think we should want or what we think others think we should want. All we can do is just grab the picture that stands out to us. We are forced to go with our gut.

    The second part of the activity forces us to verbalize and defend our gut reaction, which I found very difficult. All I could really think to say was "I like this picture." At the time I thought this was inadequate, but I realized that I thought it was an insufficient answer because I presumed people would want a more coherent and descriptive thought from me. That contradicts the message of the activity. Simply liking the picture was a good enough reason for me, so in a self-actualization workshop it is a good enough answer for everyone.

    ReplyDelete