Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Friday Workshop

Wow! That was my initial reaction when i first listened to what Sarah Jillings had to say to us. First off, the pyramid that she showed us was very very very relatable to my life (In my opinion). Without any thing below the pyramid, everything would fall apart. After hearing it, my brain immediately correlated how my life related to the pyramid. In the end, as humans we have existential dilemmas with ourselves almost everyday of our life. Without self-actualization, it would be hard to come to peace with yourself. Surviving everyday would be a struggle when you have to think about why and for what you live for. On the same note, I came to think about how I could relate what she told us to what we learned in class. Just like how humans need self-actualization, the Bokononist in Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle had no true way to find their self-actualization with themselves. So instead of trying to find their meaning to life, the Bokononist persuaded themselves into putting all their faith into the religion of Bokonon. To them, that was their self-actualization, to formidably lie to themselves to believe that they are happy. The seminar we had was extremely mind blowing and had me thinking on different cylinders. Although we think our lives are really that special, in the end we all exist in this world together and the meaning of our lives basically comes down to what we want our lives to mean. As Sarah Jillings told us, our lives are led in this pursuit for self-actualization.

No comments:

Post a Comment