Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Grizzly Man, another lie?

As always, Professor Schwartz threw another curveball at the end of Friday’s class. After we watched a peculiar segment of the documentary Grizzly Man, she asked us questions on whether or not we had suspicions of the movie. Immediately other students raised their hands and gave out great examples of how the documentary related to our class. In my honest opinion, I was not expecting that at all. I was watching the documentary as if I was watching a biology or chemistry video, which meant that I was just paying attention to the straight facts. But after she asked the class, I began to think about the movie in a different perspective. For example, when the pilot was on the camera for an interview about when he found Tredwell. That’s when my brain began to make connections with The Things They Carried. Thinking especially how O'Brien talks about writing a true war story and how it's nearly impossible to tell a completely true recount of the event. The pilot could have been telling an exaggerated account of the event with added in details that he thought might have happened. He also had the incentive to tell a more exciting story of what had happened due to the camera. Anyhow, there is no possible way for anyone to find out what had ACTUALLY happened, unless someone had a time machine. Once again Professor Schwartz caught me off guard, now I’m excited to find out what happens at the end of Grizzly Man. 

1 comment:

  1. I did the same thing. Because Grizzly Man is labeled as a documentary, I just assumed everything in it would be true. But after Professor Schwartz talked to us at the end of class, it made me realize that maybe it just that these truths were true for Timmy, similarly to how O'Brien made up "truths" about the soldiers to try to help the readers understand what they went through during the war.

    ReplyDelete