Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Intent vs Outcome

It's hard to contrast Herzog's intentions with the actual outcome of his studies. On the one hand, it is impossible to ignore the entirely genuine nature of Herzog's summers spent isolation with the bears. It seems apparent to me that his actions were not done for any public recognition or fame, but instead because of a true love for the animals and desire to be immersed in their world. The way in which he told both the fox and every bear "I love you" every time he encountered them doesn't only show a delusional quality, but moreover a deep appreciation and reverence for the animals. After seeing these encounters, it made it difficult for me to take in the negative approaches of him as stated by the pilot and the museum worker. While I understood where they were coming from, it just seemed cruel in contrast with his earnest nature. However, if in fact his presence was hurting the bears by habituating them to human behavior and thereby creating a false illusion that humans are not a danger when in fact they clearly are, does his love for the bears justify his behavior? I guess the general question that I am struggling with here is does intent justify a bad outcome? Which is the more important of the two? I feel myself compelled to thinking that, while it may not necessarily always justify a bad outcome, in this case his actions are justified for me as I found Herzog both endearing and powerful as a protagonist in his own story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment