Monday, March 2, 2015

Truth in Grizzly Man

            The comments Werner Herzog make in the NPR interview were very interesting. Timothy is a little extreme in his ways. During the interview, some of the clips from Timothy’s videos were played. In my opinion, Timothy sounds crazy and he seems like he is on drugs like someone in class mentioned. I agree with Herzog that you should not love the bears, but respect them. I think respecting the bears by keeping your distance shows your love for the bears. I think Timothy gained much more out of the relationship than the bears did. Timothy was supposedly able to end his alcohol addiction as a result of the bears. I do not think Timothy provides any protection to the Grizzly bears and I don't think the Grizzly bears need Timothy. 
           I also believe Timothy gained a lot of unnecessary fame. One good thing that came out of his fame may be the awareness and attention directed to wildlife and grizzly bears.  Even if Timothy had good intentions, I don’t think his execution to protect the bears was very smart. He is disrupting the natural wildlife habitat by creating animal human bonds. My mom always told me not to feed the wildlife because they become reliant on humans. Although I love animals myself I do not think we should bond with wild animals.
            Another interesting thing mentioned in the interview was the idea that Timothy’s death may have been suicidal. I do believe this could be a possibility. I think he truly believed that people would not understand the severity unless a bear killed him. Timothy must have disrupted the bears somehow because grizzly bears usually do not attack humans. I also found it interesting that the documentary is stylized. Herzog admits that it is even scripted at times and he let Timothy be the star. This reminded me of the scene with the watch and the coroner. He also mentions that the difference between fact and truth is very important. I still can't really decide if documentaries try to communicate more fact or truth. I am still trying to decide what is true in the film Grizzly Man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment