Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Colors, colors everywhere

My initial reaction to the story was "wait, this plot seems very familiar." I think I have read this book before or have had a teacher talk about it before because the ending was exactly the way I thought it was and as I was reading I realized that I had definitely heard this somewhere before. Although I wasn't very surprised, I was still very much confused by the plot. So I decided to write this post on something that I understand, or at least think I do. 

Something that constantly came up as I was reading this book was color. It seemed like the author intentionally put an emphasis on the colors of things that were representative of each character. For Aura, it was her sea green eyes that stood out to Felipe and became a major characteristic of hers that the readers would remember. Even on the cover of the book, the cat's green eyes stood out from the dark colors surrounding it. Another was the silver white hair of Senora Consuela which became a major attribute that depicted her old age and loss of youth. Senora Consuela struggled with wanting to look youthful and her silver white hair illustrates to the readers her inevitable outcome. Senor Consuela, though was (apparently) not in the book, also had a color that attributed to him which were his yellow tinged memoirs. The mustard yellow tinge gave off the feeling of an older time and somewhat of an emptiness or absence of character which is relative to Senor Consuela.

The effect of color in the story seemed like the author's attempt to draw attention to each individual character especially in a house that had darkened lighting. The cover's cat also happens to be all black except for a slight pinkishness in the ear and very green eyes which are what attract the readers' attention the most. I think this technique added suspense and an eeriness to the house that made the readers very drawn to the book. 

1 comment:

  1. I also found a constant mention of the color green throughout the novel. For one, was the green found in Aura's eyes. This was one of the key features that the main character noticed about Aura. Next was the cover of the book. It is a black cat with intriguing sea green eyes as well. However, it could also be just the cover of the novel haunting me to create an interpretation of the book. After all no one will really know the true intentions of Carlos Fuentes.

    ReplyDelete