Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Why Did I Like This?

I am a little concerned that I liked this book. I'm not sure what it says about me, but I'm just going to let that go and write about some things I thought about. I was drawn to the second person narrative, which I felt pulled me deeper into what took place. For some reason, I felt that the story was more suspenseful because of it. Perhaps because I cared just slightly more about what happens to "me" than another character. It also probably had something to do with the fact that I was completely helpless. As I kept reading, I knew I had no control over what happened to "me."
I took notes while reading and picked up on a few questionable parts of the text.
First, I found it strange that Senora kept denying parts of the house existing. She denied that there were cats even when Senor sees cats. She also denies that there is a garden. (i.e. "what garden?" p.63). I thought Senora remembered the house as it used to be and not as it is in modern day.
I also found it strange how many times animals came up. Cats, a rabbit, and a kid. Why did Senora hurt animals?
There were other thoughts, but one more I want to talk about is gender. From the epigraph, I knew there was going to be an emphasis put on female dominance over male. Aura has a unique charming power over Senor that is unbreakable. I thought that perhaps the gender of the rabbit may also have a significance, but I could just be making that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment