Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Disney's The Haunted Mansion

I’ll get to that part.

First off, I really liked this book??? It’s kind of weird to admit because this might have been one of the weirdest stories I have ever come across.

Like some of you guys have mentioned, I read this in one sitting not only because I forgot about it, but also because it was really addicting. I was constantly questioning what was going on and just wanted everything to be explained. And I don’t ever think it ever really was… like sure we pretty much put together the fact that Aura is a younger Consuela and that Felipe is transforming into General Llorente, but we never exactly find out how or why this is happening (unless I missed it, which is very possible).

I predicted somewhat early on in the story that  something spooky was going to happen to Felipe as soon as he said that the advertisement “seems to be addressed to [him] and nobody else… all that’s missing is [his] name” (page 3, 5). He happens to walk into a creepy, Haunted Mansion-type building. I don’t know how familiar you guys are with that movie, but I’ve seen it approximately three zillion times. There are a lot of similarities—how Felipe enters the house blindly (literally) on business that seems too good to be true, how the only other three characters in the story (including the butler) are almost ghost-like, and how a love story is wickedly trying to be preserved. That’s basically the extent of my comparison and analysis to The Haunted Mansion, but it was cool to kind of read the story with that movie in the back of my mind.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked the parallel you drew between the Haunted Mansion and the "Haunted Mansion" in Aura. Both structures and the characters that inhabit them, reveal this creepy unexplained darkness, that we as the readers, become addicted to. Both houses have this magical illusion, that makes us keep turning the pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was really cool how you compared it to The Haunted Mansion, and now I want to watch that movie to see the parallels. I also found it very addicting and read it all in one sitting. I didn't want to put it down. I actually kindof like how things weren't explained to us- it leaves it open for interpretation and for the readers to think about possible explanations. If things were explained, I wouldn't have felt the same eerie, amazed feelings that I felt when I finished the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and did you know that Sia is one of the 25 most influential lesbian and gay Australians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. c00l maybe you should write a blog post about it???????

      Delete