Tuesday, April 7, 2015

What

This book was the strangest piece of literature I've ever read. I'm not even sure what to write right now. When Felipe first started liking Aura, I thought that his first interaction with her was a dream, and I'm still really not sure if it was or not. A huge theme that came up a lot is mirrors. If I understand correctly, Aura is a reflection of Señora Consuelo, and Felipe is a reflection of General Llorente. Aura's actions mirrored those of Consuelo. However, that's where I got really confused. The girl in the pictures was Aura, but it was when Señora Consuelo was that age, so does that mean Aura is a recreation of Consuelo? Why did Aura think that Consuelo was giving her life? And then at the end of the book, Consuelo seemed to bring the book back to the beginning when she said, "She'll come back, Felipe. We'll bring her back together. Let me recover my strength and I'll bring her back..." (145). But isn't it Consuelo who needs strength, and isn't Aura giving her that strength?              

1 comment:

  1. What I find interesting about this post is that I was manipulated in the same way while reading this book. I think that we are predisposed to think of the "fountain of youth" idea: that someone old has to steal life and livelihood from something that already has it. I don't think this is Fuentes' manipulation, but rather one from out society that he capitalized on.

    ReplyDelete