Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Hidden Clues

I just finished reading Aura and I cannot tell whether I liked or disliked the novel. It was definitely very creepy and mysterious. On p.73, I wrote a note to myself that maybe Aura and Señora were the same person. After I made that guess, every action that Aura and Señora took and all the observations Felipe was making only supported my hunch. What I didn't notice until later on in the novel was that Felipe was the husband.

After the realization and big reveal of Felipe and Aura's true characters, I realized how many clues I had missed. From the very beginning, Felipe noted that "all that's missing is your name" (Fuentes, 5). Then, so many different events from the beginning of the story rushed into my head. The color green is also is constantly observed and was one of the biggest clues for me personally.

This novel reminded me of "An Occurrence on Owl Creek Bridge" from the beginning of the year. While there were so many clues in the beginning of the novel, I did not catch them or question any weird or peculiar actions until after I found out the true identity of the characters. Upon finishing the novel, I still question what the point of the novel was. It's also interesting to note the effect of an epigraph before reading a story and the way you read it after finishing a novel. There is also a cat on the cover of my book with green eyes. I am not really sure what the significance of the green eyes or the cats is in this novel. I also wonder why the author chose to keep things in French. I still haven't really thought of a good reason for why the author chose to use second person either. Perhaps because I just finished reading the novel a few minutes ago, I still have a lot of questions to sort out in my head.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the idea of new discovery's made at the end of the novel in which you realize you should have potentially known all along mirrors An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge. However, I thought that the process of realizing the true nature of the characters in Aura would have been way more difficult to decipher than in Owl Creek, even if simply because of the sheer difference in number of characters involved.

    ReplyDelete