Tuesday, April 21, 2015

escape


This class has allowed me recognize manipulations that face me every single day, from when I wake up and get dressed to when I floss before I go to bed. Now I am aware, but where do I go from there? Is there anywhere to avoid manipulations and live life simply for myself, and not be compressed by outside societal and familial factors? Would going to the wilderness and feeling the naked earth under my bare feet save me?

I have come to the realization that there is no way to escape the confines of societal manipulations. In fact, there are very few people who live free from manipulations. I guess you could argue that Timothy Treadwell, better known as Grizzly Man, defied expectations of society for his duration in Alaska. However, as seen in the documentary, it was highly likely that he had ulterior motives for his journeys, such as fame and approval. In Environment and the Society, we learned about “uncontacted tribes”. These groups of people live completely separate from the luxuries we have today. No cars, no oil, no electricity, no plumbing…the list goes on. These groups are not inhibited by the structure of modern society. They have not been contacted by the outside world. However, lately, oil and logging companies have started infringing on their communities in aim of exploiting their resources. However, were these people barren to manipulations before these companies started closing in?

It can be argued that in any society, there are manipulations. So, does that mean the only way to escape manipulation would be to be completely isolated? Well that sounds awfully lonely.

Here is a website with information about uncontacted tribes if anyone is interested…


No comments:

Post a Comment