Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Self-Manipulation

We've talked a lot about how we are manipulated in our everyday lives just by our surroundings and the society we live in. But I also think that we often choose to manipulate ourselves. Even though the word ‘manipulation’ seems to have a bad connotation, I think it can definitely be useful.

            One of my friends here says that sometimes when she is writing a paper she sets the clock on her computer ahead by two hours. That way when she looks at the clock she thinks it’s much later than it really is, making her work that much harder. Even though she knows that it’s actually two hours earlier, this self-manipulation of time makes her more determined to get the work done. I can think of many times throughout the day that I manipulate myself. To get myself to exercise I try to view running as a study break, rather than something I have to do. This way I make it into something I should enjoy and look forward to rather than dread. It doesn’t always work… but it definitely helps. Even while I’m running, if I’m really tired I’ll tell myself that I’ll get to walk if I reach some landmark (mailbox, telephone pole, driveway, etc.) up ahead. But then when I get to that landmark I’ll tell myself I can make it to the next one and the next one, until I end up forcing myself to run much further. In all of these examples we are aware of how we are manipulating ourselves, but it doesn’t lessen the ‘good’ that comes out of it. These daily manipulations can be helpful.

1 comment:

  1. This resonates with me a lot, particularly because of my work-study in the Fitness Center. I worked here over the summer and was good enough to get long shifts during the school year. The longest is about five hours from early afternoon til 7, which hypothetically gives me more than enough time to finish major assignments before dinner. But the work itself is slightly demanding, particularly during rush hours when everyone just gets out of class and wants to get a workout in. So after awhile I developed this one-hour time cap mentality where I would just sit down and get as much academic work done as possible before I need to start cleaning the gym. It's self-manipulation for sure, and as you said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, especially when it comes to writing assignments, where I really need to focus on my train of thoughts, which is near impossible due to loud speaker volume. And I can't shut down the front desk's door either due to safety reasons. At this point in time, though, I've come to terms with the fact that this is the one thing I can't control over, that it's part of the work-study experience. I'm definitely not happy about it. But I'm not 100% frustrated about it either. And sometimes I do enjoy the music too. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that self-manipulation, for all intents and purposes, can be helpful, but it should not be mistaken for the ultimate life-hack. It makes sense, considering how if life can be measured by milestones all the time like games, frustration, distress and even existential voids can hit us like a ton of brick once we slip.

    ReplyDelete