Tuesday, April 21, 2015

West Egg




There was a kid peeing in the middle of the street. He looked like one of those naked angel statue people have in the lawn in front of their million dollar vacation home in East Egg. I don’t know if people actually do that, but for the sake of analogy, let’s assume people actually hire architects who are too suspiciously excited to carve sculptures of a naked child out of marbles to carve sculptures of a naked child out of marbles.


In all honesty the incident would have been completely trivial. I mean the traffic was a mess per usual. And there he was in the middle of the road peeing. But I was in a rush for cram school so I didn’t give it much thought. But for the following reasons for which I have spent a long enough time on the toilet today thinking of, the image stuck with me longer than my previous ex. Damn.

Anyway, the kid wasn’t exposed to social taboos. It could just be that his parents didn’t feel the need to teach him about the potential lack of sanitation should one proceed to attend nature’s call in the presence of incoming traffic, which looks something like this.





And maybe, just maybe precisely because of this artificial perception of innocence that enables architects of ancient time to fulfill their desire to carve sculptures of a naked child out of marbles. I mean they do carve adult sculptures too. But if you are allowed to carve naked men and women why stop there right? Go go artistic freedom.

Just to go along with that (and run with it), imagine a scenario where instead of a child, we have a man or a woman peeing in the middle of the street. In this day and age, were that to happen, cyber-backlash and cyber-backlashing backlash woudn’t stop for a while. I mean it wouldn’t be as serious as Ferguson, but you get the idea. It’s like an unsuspecting group of people walking into the theater to see a Stan Brakhage's film. Next thing you know people start to wonder why there are toilets in the first place since natural bodily functions are just that: natural and thus require no censor.

Now that I’ve finished this brain dump (and the other dump), I realized I never actually have this deep of a conversation with my ex. Funny how life works. And yes I just took probably one of the better shit of my life this semester. It feels so good to let go. [Insert jokes about ex here]

1 comment:

  1. [Inserting joke about your ex here] : Your ex is like a box of chocolates. She'll kill your dog. Just kidding. But after that long brain dump I understand why your ex never talked about deep stuff with you. Maybe you should date your computer if you have such intimate conversations with it. Imagine a neanderthal's reaction if we transported them via time travel into New York City? What would they think or do? What if we dressed them up in a suit and gave this neanderthal a briefcase and transported him (again via time travel) into NYC? Times have changed, and so have perceptions of norm. Interesting brain dump, Hung. I liked it. I actually liked it so much it inspired (or even manipulated) me to do a "brain dump" of my own. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete