Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Frustrated


Today I was examined by a doctor.  My right knee was examined because I had a second knee surgery in two years for a torn lateral meniscus.  As of late I have been participating in dynamic fitness as a “requirement” for the football team.  Now my knee hurts, and I feel like I have done a full circle back to being injured.  I saw the doctor who operated on my knee twice.  He prescribed me a cortisone shot and demanded I do not participate in such strenuous athletic movements.  In other words, I am not allowed to workout with my team.
I am frustrated by this.  I am frustrated because my knee was not this sore last year after rehabbing even more this time.  I’ve rehabbed and rehabbed and rehabbed but I cannot shake this soreness and these knee problems.  I feel like after working to get back and the precision of such a surgery should warrant a healthy return, but I guess not.  I am frustrated that I felt the need to return to such athletic workouts when my knee physically was not ready to return.  I should not feel obliged to push my limits and risk my health, and my future.   I am frustrated that I am put in this scenario because I risked my physical health for a game, my team and my coaches, and then I am pressured to return to full health when I am not ready to.  This is Hamilton football.  I am not ever going to be a professional athlete.  I understand I am expected to compete at a relatively high level, but I cannot force my body to heal.  Now, I am left contemplating at what I could’ve done differently to avoid issues, and still play the game I love.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry dude, I feel you. I've been there and it's the absolute worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conor, really cool use of different formatting and colors in your post. I think the way that you formatted it was almost comparative to how someone thinks. The repetition of the word frustrated, and having the text closer together as it begins to spiral into your internal struggle was very interesting to see, and I feel like it made your frustration more understandable to readers. Also, the concluding sentence in a different color really differentiates it from the rest of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand this!! My brother also broke two of his bones during hockey during his post graduate year and now has two metal plates and 20 screws in his arms. Although he went to school for hockey, he decided to play soccer and lacrosse shortly after his injury. I think he manipulated his body to think he was okay so he could keep doing what he loved which was to play sports. Doctors suggested he not play any contact sports, as he disobeyed the doctor and continued to push his limits. This also made his college process different and he ended up playing Junior Hockey before going to college because he got injured. It scares me sometime because I don't want him to exceed or test his limits.

    ReplyDelete