Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Incoherent Thoughts

I read Memento a few years ago in English class, but like a lot of things I read in high school, I forgot a lot about the plot. All I remembered was that I really liked it and it was really weird, in a good way, and that I was shocked by the ending. But I don't remember what the ending is, and it's driving me crazy, but I don't want to remember because I want the same surprise I got from the first time I read it.    Usually, people watch movies when they don't want to think much, and they just want to sit back and relax. But this movie requires you to be extremely attentive to every detail and to every flashback that occurs. Isn't that how movies should be though? So much time, money, and work goes into making a movie; it should give the audience something to think about. It should test them. What's the point in watching movies that are predictable? Why sit through those two hours when you know exactly going to end? Memento is definitely not one of those movies, and I'm excited to find out how it all resolves... again.

1 comment:

  1. I read Memento over the weekend, after we had already watched half of the movie. I wanted to read it because I wanted to know what happened at the end of the movie, thinking it would be similar. But then when I finished, I thought the ending was terrible because it was so sad. Leonard was in a cop car and then realized he didn't have a pen to write down that he had done it, he had avenged his wife's death. I thought it was horrible that he had to forget everything he had done and still be searching. The movie ended on a very different note. Leonard chose to forget that he had already killed John G. He wanted to forget because avenging his wife was the only happiness he could find for himself. So in the short story, Leonard didn't want to forget, but it was taken from him, and in the movie he allowed himself to forget.

    ReplyDelete