Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Memento & One Tree Hill

              I really like Memento so far. I’m trying to stay very wary of my expectations that I have or my guesses as to who the killer is. It seems pretty obvious to me who did it right now but I know that the obvious answer will not be the case and I’m just going to be blown away and tricked at the end. Since I’ve learned in this class to not be so gullible and to be aware of manipulation around me, I am trying to keep an open mind and think of all the possibilities as to who the killer is in the movie.

            On another note, I’m not sure whether I like the constant changing of timing in the movie- like how they show one scene and then go back and reveal how they got there. I recently started watching One Tree Hill, and yesterday during a binge-watching session I watched the season 1 finale episode. In this episode, they did a very similar thing to Memento where they would show a scene and then show what happened before that and keep doing that throughout the whole episode. With One Tree Hill, it was clearer than in Memento as to the order of events (probably because they aren’t trying to trick you). I typically enjoy shows or movies where in the beginning they show the final scene and then they spend the whole rest of the time showing how they got up to that point. However, I don’t really like how they keep repeating this sequence in Memento. Although, I do see how it’s very clever in the context of the movie and the artistic expression.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thought about how Memento is almost over-using the whole "show you what's going to happen before it happens" technique. It was really intriguing to me at first, and then the repetition got old, but then I realized that without paying attention to the fine details in the movie and the scene shown beforehand, I would miss out on some key aspects of the story line.

    ReplyDelete