Tuesday, April 28, 2015

What have I done?

I just submitted my blog self-grade where I wrote a short argumentative piece defending the grade I gave myself. Although I feel like I graded myself fairly, I still feel as though I’m cheating the system. This is the first class where I’m getting to control the majority of my final grade, and despite the fact that I’m very appreciative, I still can’t shake the feeling that I’m unqualified and am grading myself either too easy or too hard… which is kind of crazy because I know myself and my work ethic, and after 14 years of school, I should be able to objectively give myself a grade based on the grading systems I’ve observed. I ended up sitting in front of a blank Microsoft word page for 30 minutes before realizing that I need to settle on a grade and if I am able to justify it more than other possible grades, then I’ve probably made the right choice (or close to it, hopefully). At least this way my conscience doesn’t keep nagging me.

In other news, Memento reminds me of Breaking Bad. I’m assuming that everyone is familiar with it (over-qualified high school chemistry teacher gets cancer and turns into a meth cook/dealer to pay the bills), but not everyone has probably watched it. The storylines don’t seem to share any similarities, but the way the stories are told are very similar. An episode of Breaking Bad starts with a brief scene of what’s coming at the end of the episode or finale, but you have no idea at the time when you’re watching it because an entire chunk of the story is missing. As hard as you try to come up with all of the in-between information as to how that brief scene came to be, it seems impossible, and makes you pay attention to every little detail in hopes of figuring out the end before it’s revealed. For me, this method of storytelling is the most intriguing part of the movie so far and I’m excited to see how it continues to unfold.

3 comments:

  1. I like both parts of this blog post. I too struggled with giving myself a grade, no matter what it was. I would go back and forth and feel guilty about the grade no matter what I was thinking of. It's a perfect example of how we're so used to just being assigned something that when given responsibility of our own future we don't know what to do. I also really like what Sarah said about Breaking Bad. It specifically reminds me of one episode where a dead body is shown floating in the pool. The whole episode I was trying to figure out who would die and how. It turns out the dead body came from a completely unrelated event that had nothing to do with the main characters. This style of filming tricks the audience into interpreting what's happening in a certain way. It manipulates you because it makes you believe that you already know the ending, when in reality you don't know anything more than the writers want you to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah,

    I enjoyed your word use in the sentence, "This is the first class where I'm getting to control the majority of my final grade". Janelle, and most professors, would respond with (probably), "don't you always have 100% control of your grade?" However, I think this is not true. I think that grades are given very objectively. At least in my experience, teachers will favor children that are very involved in class and actively engaged in learning. At least from my experience, teachers pick favorites. Imagine if a student did not show up to a single class but killed the essay. I think most teachers would fail this student.

    I believe that teachers value the process more than the end result. I bring all of my first drafts to my professors so they have a chance to see it before I refine it and turn it in. That way, they already have seen the paper, so it is fresh in their mind. Also, I have found that, with their feedback, I tend to do a lot better than if I only did one draft and submitted it. This is also sneaky because then the teacher will compare your final paper to your first draft, rather than comparing it with to the rest of the classes’ papers. So if you wrote a REALLY shitty first draft and then brought it to the teacher and she tells you how shitty it is, she would grade your final based on how much your writing has improved. Once again, this is only from my experience. I also do not purposely waste a professor’s time making them read my shitty draft, but I do believe that they should see the paper once or twice before they grade it!

    ReplyDelete