Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Memento In Opus and Am I Trying My Best?

Having missed classed on Friday, I watched Memento alone on my laptop in Opus. It was very difficult not to finish the entire thing in one sitting (I forced myself to stop after 75 minutes). I really like it. A lot of people have written about the manipulation the film imposes on not only the viewer but on the main character himself. It was terrifying how easily he was manipulated. He even had to tattoo things on his body to make sure he would not forget things and to prevent someone from changing his hand written notes. I am excited to see where the film goes because although I think I know, I am positive it will trick me. I think he killed his wife...

On another note, I have been thinking a lot about this self-grade and it has been bothering me. Writing "I deserve an A" in an email is so easy, the temptation is killing me, but I am an innately guilty person and do believe in doing what is best. In fact, the words "you'll only be cheating yourself" keep echoing in my head, something I remember someone saying about someone who was considering cheating back in middle school. On top of all that, we did sign the honor code. Over the week I have come to some revelations about how I would grade myself. One of the things I have learned from this class is that everything is relative but it is important not to compare your successes to others. You should pay attention to your own personal progress and "grade accordingly". I do not think my "A" work is the same as a more seasoned sophomore from a prestigious private high school's "A" work. But if I am honestly trying my best, I think I deserve an A. Now I just have to decide if I honestly tried my best on these blog posts... We shall see what I decide.


1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way with the blog self-grade as you did. In the end, I realized that I did not deserve an A, but I really wanted an A. So I just decided to argue for why I wanted an A because of other reasons. Overall, I'm glad that I was not lying to Janelle or myself, and I was truly honest and introspective when it came to writing this self-grade.

    ReplyDelete