Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Coming Full Circle

I feel that If on Winter's Night a Traveler has been talked about enough in class. Miss Janelle even told us that she would usually never spend 4 days on a single text.  But the ideas that transcend the book are worth debating even still. I have never seen Jeremy so up in arms about an issue until I saw the furry in his eyes during last class.  Miss Janelle tells us there is only one way to read a text, and he throws a shit storm almost as if the Patriots got their asses kicked by the Saints the night before (ouch).  The idea that he had to read the text exactly how everyone else who had ever read it was ridiculous to him. It was almost as if that statement alone sucked out every inch of freedom this man had.  So why does it take a question of freedom to infuriate someone so much?  Calvino's novel takes away our freedom from the get go. He is telling us how to read our novel. Back the FUCK up Italo. I'm going to read how ever the hell I want. Then I'm going to finish this novel... right after you tell me I'm about to. How free are we really when we read these texts?  We're instructed to and then we do it. Then we participate in the discussion that we don't have a choice whether or not to listen to.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, however, I mean we pay to get schooled here. I know I like the class, and I have liked all the books. But I'm scared every time someone tries to rape my free will away from me. Please don't do that, I like making my own decisions. 

1 comment: