Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I seem to be living in a world of confusion these days.

Out of all the books we had to read in this class, I must say If On A Winter's Night A Traveler confused me the most. Although I give Calvino credit for his unique and experimental style, it simply does not work for me. I don't think I've ever been so confused in my life. Calvino's use of two different stories causes a sense of two realities. Throughout the book, I found myself getting lost between the two. I couldn't figure out which was the novel, which was outside information, or if there were two stories in one book. However, I do think this style of writing is perfect for this course. It challenges us to actually pay attention to what we're reading. Miss one detail and you are sure to be lost.By Calvino using these two different story lines, it is up to the reader to distinguish the truth from the lies. It is in this sense that I feel this novel emphasizes the idea that we have been discussing all semester: it doesn't really matter what's true and what's false. The point of the story is not based on reality vs. fiction, but on the subject matter and issues that are addressed.

Even though I did not like this book at all, and felt completely lost while reading it, I can't deny the fact that it serves a purpose in this class. Despite the confusing circumstances surrounding the plot, we shouldn't allow ourselves to focus on finding the truth. Sometimes not knowing is the best part.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about being confused with this text. However, it was more than just two texts involved in this story. Every titled chapter was a completely new chapter. (As if we didn’t have enough to take in already, right?) But that was Calvino’s style – he wanted to lure his readers into each of the stories (i.e. – the story chapters) right until the point of climax – and then just leave us there hanging.

    I described it as “pulling teeth” in my blog entry. Painful, but worth the reward, I guess? Although I didn’t enjoy the book as much as others (and apparently similar to you) we were introduced to a new writing style that I never saw before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Every titled chapter was a completely new *story*"

    whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The text was really confusing. But at the same time, the second person narrative kind of led you certain places, so i guess there was kind of a trade-off...

    ReplyDelete