Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Frustration

My title is "Frustration" because that is what I felt while reading this book. At first when Calvino was telling me what to do, I was annoyed because he sounded so sure of himself, but he wasn't really right all the time. What a tool.

But then I started to realize that there were two "yous," and that "you" wasn't really me. So then that was okay. But then whenever "you" started a story, it ended just when the action picked up! I was just as frustrated as "you" was in the story (though I'm not sure if I would have gone through as much trouble to find the continuation).

As the numbered and storied chapters went on, I started noticing that the real story was in the the numbered chapters. I think it just takes a while of reading before you can figure out what the "real" story is. And at least this one ended. I think.

I really wish this class was called "the art of manipulation," as was desired. This book would be PERFECT for any class with manipulation in the title, because I definitely felt manipulated for the entire thing. It's not until the last few pages that everything finally comes together, and even then, it doesn't totally make sense. Or I just didn't totally get it. Either way, I'm starting to think that maybe Calvino wrote this the same way we wrote our crazy little story.

1 comment:

  1. I think "frustration" is the perfect word to describe the feelings you get when reading this book.

    ReplyDelete