Thursday, December 3, 2009

Hate to love it, Love to hate it.

I find it very frustrating that I still can't tell whether or not I liked On a Winter's Night a Traveler. I know for a fact that I began to like quite a few of the stories, but before allowing myself to get too caught up in them, I prepared myself for the abrupt ending and anticipated disappointment of never finding out what happens.
I really want to be able to say I enjoyed the book, but to be honest, it pissed me off so much that I'm not sure I can get over my annoyance. I will grant Calvino the praise that the idea and structure of the book it down right brilliant - so brilliant, I hated it. I have never read a novel quite like this one, and its sure safe to say I wasn't fully prepared for this one.
I began writing this blog with honestly no direction, but a goal. I wanted to find out why I find myself disliking the book so much. It was a good book - it was very well written, easy to read, featured great characters and interesting stories. Then why do I find myself so ticked off with it? I've come to realize its because this novel didn't allow me to fall into the trap of manipulation. It literally prevented all chances of forgetting that it was a novel or getting caught up in the story. It was a novel that kept reminding me it was a novel.
On a Winter's Night a Traveler has come to show me that the power of literature is one thing that can honestly overcome human rationality and reason. This book was basically a tease since I never fully got what I wanted, aside from the realization that books have the ability to completely take over my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment