Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Reading Is What's Important

I do not like this book at all. I found myself forcing my mind to concentrate on the lines on the page. Due to my attitude towards the book, I decided to look up information on Italo Calvino so that maybe I would understand his style of writing. I came upon biographical information that basically told me what I figured out from reading If on a Winter's Night a Traveler: Calvino is an experimental writer with a big imagination. Someone known for experimenting with his writing is expected to catch the reader by surprise; and Calvino certainly did that with me. Not only does he create two different "realities," but he also overlaps events/characters/ideas/facts within the realities/worlds (which confuses the reader even more). And as that wasn't enough, things that happen within the book itself happens to the reader (like never finishing a story). Because I didn't like this book I feel like I'm not a fit analyzer. But, I think that what Calvino wanted us to do with the book is experiment with reading. With the way he introduces the story already shows the reader that this book will require different reading skills from what we are used to (i.e. having a clear plot, having clear characters, having motives/goals, having a climax, etc.). And if that was Calvino's goal then I applaud him. It takes a brave person to take a risk and introduce the public to a totally different form of story-telling and expecting them to have an open-mind and be vulnerable to foreign things.

3 comments:

  1. Our opinions of this book are not different. I didn't like the book, but I feel like it wasn't about any particular story or plotline. I agree that it was more of a test to the reader than anything. The text was uncomfortable to read because there wasn't a set story line. It was a jumbled mess. Calvino really testing the limits of a "story". Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also dislike this book, but not because it's lack in a storyline. I believe it was uncomfortable to read because we didn't know how to feel about being stuck in the story itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you say that Calvino wants us to “experiment with reading.” He’s challenging us to accept a new form of reading so that we can be more effective readers. Based on the descriptions of the reader in chapter one, I think that he has a great respect for reading and wants us to enjoy his work. He has a playful style that engages the reader unlike any other novel. Instead of viewing the readers as an audience, he includes them within the text through the protagonist “Reader.” This shows that he wants the reader to play a part in the story. It also reveals his skill as an author to know his readers well enough to portray them in his novel.

    ReplyDelete