Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Manipulation in Aura

Aura was one of my favorite but also least favorite books of the semester. I hated the "you" mostly because I felt as though I was being forced into actions and feelings I was uncomfortable with and didn't agree with. While I hated this I have to say it is the most powerful aspect of the book to the reader because it forces you to be drawn in and is a great manipulation tool, which we discussed in class. While the book is obviously creepy and very confusing the essence of the book is also powerful. This book creates an eerie "aura" around it just as Aura creates around herself. One of the reasons it is my favorite is because of its intense forms of exploitation. While deceiving the reader about what is reality in terms of Aura and Felipe he is also automatically pulling the reader in and manipulating them into being a part of the story, even if you don't want to be. Either way the reader ends up being much more involved in the story while at the same time being completely confused and disoriented. Mostly I enjoyed the technique of the story more than the actual story itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment