Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sirens

The biggest thing I carried away from this book (which, because of its punctuality and to-the-point-ness, I liked better than any other book we've read thus far) was a direct correlation between Senora Consuelo and a character I once read about in a Greek myth course, a siren named Lorelei who lured unsuspecting fishermen to their deaths by singing a beautiful song on a rock. At least for me, I found that Consuelo and Lorelei are pretty much one in the same, luring the unsuspecting into their webs like a spider lures a fly. In the end, while Felipe wasn't necessarily killed, he was used as a pawn, sucked in by Consuelo to keep her impending death at bay under the alias of Aura.

1 comment:

  1. great connection! using Lorelei as a figure could help move us away from the "witch" idea that many seemed so uncomfortable with and toward a more timeless mythos easily supportive of enchantments, magic, etc.

    ReplyDelete