Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Thanks

Looking back on this semester, it is amazing how much this class has made me think outside of my comfort zone. From the first day of classes, I knew this wasn’t going to be a normal English class. Before this class, I have never truly enjoyed English classes. I enjoy science and math classes because they always have a clear and concrete answer. Problem sets have an end while writing is a never ending process. My desire and comfort to always have an answer and follow directions has been challenged throughout this course. 

I was manipulated to take this course through my pre-med requirements, but I am so glad that I ended up in this course. Unlike many of my other classes, Truth, Lies & Literature gave me much more freedom and independence. I never realized how little I voice my own opinion. The degree to which I follow structure and direction is enormous. Although I still continue to be manipulated by the systems around me, I am much more aware. With that said, I am not questioning the manipulation around me 24/7 outside of this class, but I do think a lot more about my actions and choices based off of our class discussions this semester.

Although this is the class that I had the most freedom in, I had the desire to do exactly what I “should” do. To be honest, being told you don’t have to do something, or that you can chose your own topic was stressful. After being conditioned for so long, it was difficult to take advantage of the freedom.

I think Janelle is one of the few professors who TRULY cares about our opinions. She was interested in us finding our own voices and voicing them. We still have a habit of backing down because we are only students but I realized the power we could have as students. Jangle has really inspired me. She truly demands her own happiness. She made her own course, designed her own Adirondack program and used the resources around her very successfully. I really want to work on this “demanding my own happiness” aspect instead of just following societal norms of what happiness is. 

Thank you everyone for amazing class discussions and laughs, it’s been a great class!!! Good luck with all your finals!

No comments:

Post a Comment