Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Manipulation in the Blog

This week we were tasked with writing about manipulation seen in our everyday lives. One of the devices that I've been thinking about over the past few days has been deadlines. Especially in school, deadlines do not need to be when they are. They are arbitrary dates imposed by the professor, or in rare cases the students, for when work should be handed in. The implications of instituting deadlines early on in life seem obvious. By making students used to having due dates for their work, students not only learn a sense of accountability for their work, and when it must be done, but also they are being prepared for the rest of their lives where they will likely be forced to follow deadlines in their work with much higher penalties than in school.

While this manipulation may be helpful for some, it is also making the assumption that all students want to go on to work in jobs where deadlines are a reality. This assumption does not allow for those who would prefer to live their lives off the clock, and so it perpetuates societal definitions of success at a subconscious level. By posting this a day late, I have made at least a small attack on the prevalence of deadlines in society. Although this is certainly not enough to change anything, it at least shows that while deadlines may seem at times that they are make or break, they can in fact be inconsequential.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this post. For some reason, I've always thought that no matter what, you'll always be faced with deadlines. I had to read this twice and think about it for a solid 3 minutes before realizing that you're totally right...

    My dad has always supported me being pre-med because if I decide to be a doctor, then "I won't have a boss" which is totally true. And I like to think of deadlines like bosses-- they dictate your schedule and keep you in check (usually). So your original point about deadlines not always being a reality stands, and I think it's weird how it has taken me so long to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your blog post a lot! So much that I too am posting my blog response late. (Okay, that was a lie but whether intentionally or not I broke the deadline, so I find it fitting to discuss how deadlines are manipulative.) I agree that deadlines create a standard for success that is not applicable to many peoples career aspirations and life styles. That being said, I think deadlines help make people more accountable and responsible humans. It is just a good skill to have. I am tempted to say, just don't question it, but that feels wrong due to what we have been discussing about manipulation recently. I am conflicted because I find that deadlines help you, so you can leave them be, even if they manipulate you.
    In response to Sarah, I think you have to have a boss before you can be one. Deadlines would help you get there. Also, it would feel so much better to be a boss if you were subjected to deadlines prior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you. Deadlines are arbitrary and this can extend out to time itself. Its a man made invention to make our lives linear and organized. Although it definitely is effective, in terms of progress, it doesn't actually exist, a liberating but also really scary concept.

    ReplyDelete