Tuesday, April 14, 2015

#Subtweet

So, after about the 2nd email we received yesterday telling everyone that there was a lockdown and shelter-in-place, a friend who will remain anonymous said in a group chat "where are you guys? I'm outside commons in the sun". what?! uhh...theres a bomb threat and possible shooter on campus...but uh ok..

This, among other things yesterday, made me think a lot about choices. Like Lily said in her blog post, I was also thinking about the choices people made yesterday of whether to leave the lockdown or stay where they were. I was in the science center for 7 hours yesterday, and I decided not to leave until they sent out an email lifting the lockdown. Lily brought up two possible reasons people could have made the choice to stay where they were. Honestly, I think both of her reasons were accurate for me. I was genuinely still scared, and I was also scared of getting in trouble because I heard people were getting written up for going outside. Although in some cases we shouldn’t have to do or not do things because of a fear of authority, in this kind of situation, I don’t think it was a bad thing. The authority on campus yesterday were faculty, campus security, and all the police forces on campus. Their number one concern was for everyone’s safety. I think some people took that for granted yesterday when they decided to disobey authority and leave the lockdown. Yes, there was no real danger- but what if there was? Things of these sorts have happened at many other campuses, leaving many people killed or injured. I am so grateful that we got so lucky. Personally, I do not think it is worth the risk.

2 comments:

  1. I was in the same situation as you, and I couldn't agree more. In this case, I think the "manipulation" of authority was something that we should have allowed to happen. It's not like they were keeping us on lock down for shits and gigs; it was for own safety. We had a choice of staying or leaving, given parameters, but there was an obvious right answer. The manipulation that occurred was for our own benefit and security, and if we stayed longer than we should've, it was just to be cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaclyn, I think you bring up a great point. It's up to each individual person to decide if leaving is worth the risk. I was personally in the Science center, and I decided to stay for the entire lockdown, because I had access to my work and the internet as well as food and water. A friend of mine had left her things in KJ, and therefore sat around basically doing nothing for 7 hours. I think that if I were in her position, I would have left.

    ReplyDelete