Monday, April 21, 2014

The Targeting Approach

I've been thinking a lot about my media(ted) artiFACT because I have to present it in class tomorrow. Well, I've actually been stressing more than anything. I started looking at things I surround myself with and how I may be manipulated by them. After thinking deeply about my favorite things, and finding myself as clueless as when I began. My best friend from high school showed me these youtube videos last year called "Target Women," and they're hilarious. The premise of the clips is that Sarah Haskins, a comedian, goes on a rant/ spiel about products marketed specifically toward women. Her topics range from chocolate and yogurt to Broadview Security.

The chocolate episode hit me particularly hard. I love chocolate. Have I been manipulated to love it and believe that I need it? According to the evidence, I have. Can you recall a chocolate commercial not advertised toward women? I certainly can't. The commercials make chocolate appear like everything we women could possible ever need. I've been watching a lot of "Mad Men" recently. In the last episode, the agency pitches a campaign to Playtex, the bra makers. The entire concept of the ad was created by men and pitched to men. These men decide what women want in a bra. That to me is scary and ridiculous. This is how manipulation works. Some people get together in a room and pitch and idea they think will make me feel like I need their product. This is what I'll be presenting on tomorrow in class, but I thought I'd share the links with you now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPf5L3JE1_4

here's an actual chocolate commercial if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwPwQ4S4op8

No comments:

Post a Comment