Monday, April 14, 2014

Are we manipulated to be happy?

My roommate is writing an anthropology paper about happiness in relation to Hamilton. Last night while we were all hanging out, Sophie asked us to explain our experiences at Hamilton and how they relate to our own measures of happiness. We all began talking about classes, friends, and social media. How they impact our happiness. We construct images and appearances so others will think we're happy. When you came to Hamilton for the first time, didn't you think this was an inviting place? I distinctly remember accepted students day 2012. It was about 80 degrees and everyone was outside in sundresses and shorts enjoying themselves. Accepted students day was entirely mediated. As are the tours we give. Tour guides are taught what to tell prospective students, they're given a variety of approved topics and they don't stray. Genuine experience is never really discussed.

Don't get me wrong; I love it here. I am happy with my friends, academics, and social life, but that doesn't mean I'm never unhappy. I often find myself feeling down or even depressed with no explanation. That, however, is never discussed here. We are manipulated to believe that everyone else is happy all of the time, which is a blatant lie. I think social media is the worst form of this. BBC News published an article a few days ago about how women exposed to social media are more likely to have lower self-esteem. We construct our Facebook pages to look a particular way. I can't remember a time I saw a picture of a person crying on Facebook or Instagram. I am extremely guilty of looking at others timelines and wishing my life was as exciting or "happy" as theirs.

How fucked up is that? A constructed online appearance causes me to doubt myself and become more insecure. At Hamilton we're "A National Leader" in what? Supposedly it's "learning from each other and thinking for [ourselves]". To me, however, it looks like we're so blinded by the images of others that we can't even being to think for ourselves. Our coursework this past semester has caused me to be more conscious of the manipulation around us. While Hamilton is a wonderful institution, and I don't suggest anyone take it for granted, I think it is time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. No one is perfect or happy all the time. If we could be more open about our insecurities as a campus, I think that would make Hamilton's image less constructed and more realistic.

Here's the article if you're interested: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26952394

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't have articulated this better myself. I feel the exact same way - I love Hamilton and know that it's the right place for me, yet at the same time I will get down in the dumps for no apparent reason. Is it the weather? The people? The absence of my family? And I think that if you were to ask a handful of Hamilton students, they would admit that they aren't happy 100% of the time either. I've realized that another form of manipulation present in all of our lives is Snapchat. Through "stories" and pictures, viewers are forced to believe that their friends are happy and having a great time ALL the time. People usually take photos of themselves from a flattering angle, in order to make themselves feel confident and happy. Like you said, we are manipulated to believe our friends are happy all of the time, which is clearly not the case at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that social media manipulates us into believing that our peer's lives are much more "perfect" than how they probably are. In psychology we read about a study that showed looking at other people's Facebook pages actually lowers our self esteem. Apps and websites such as Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat portray incomplete versions of people's lives. Like Sam mentioned, people mostly post about the most exciting, happy, and fun events going on in their lives. The problem is that we have highs and lows in our lives, and then we end up comparing it to only the "highs" of other people's lives that we see on social media.

    ReplyDelete