Monday, April 14, 2014

Life is a Highway...with 100 miles and limited exits

I feel manipulated by class registration. The stresses that enter my life around registration time are due to the overwhelming external pressure I feel. We are supposed to feel empowered by an open curriculum and the power to type and submit whatever classes we want, but is this really the case?  We all go to college with the illusion that you are choosing your destiny....but you cannot support yourself comfortably without a college degree. You can be anything you want to be!...but now pick from one of x majors. Take any class you want!...that fulfill your major requirements. There is no core curriculum!....now take three writing intensive classes and a QSR. These "buts" are endless. So I guess class registration is just a small part of my feeling manipulated in these cookie cutter life paths we all choose. How am I supposed to know what I want to do with my life for the next 40 years when I've only lived 19 and they have all been planned? I don't know what I want to major in or what career path I would like to take and everyone says thats okay!...but make sure you declare by sophomore spring!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you decided to write a blog post about this because I feel the exact same way. We are taught to believe that we can be anything we want to be, that Hamilton is the place where we can figure all this out. But at the same time we are restricted by requirements and fed the illusion of freedom. Don't get me wrong, I am so happy here at Hamilton, but it's the societal pressures from family, friends, and even strangers that sometimes gets me down. I don't really know what I want to do with the rest of my life. I'm trying to figure that out. But with all of the classes that I want to take overlapping with each other for next semester, and the knowledge that by this time next year I'll have to declare a major, I'm more stressed than ever to commit to something. It's good to know that I'm not alone in this!

    ReplyDelete