Monday, April 14, 2014

Miss Malleability

            Let me start off by saying that my friends call me “malleable.” While this is not the most endearing label, I would have to agree that I am a person who is easily manipulated. However, I think there is a difference between being blindly manipulated and knowing that you are being manipulated. I don’t go off agreeing to do whatever my friends tell me to do. This is not the case at all. I realize when my friends are pushing me to do things that I wouldn’t willingly do on my own.  I am aware of their motives and I appreciate that I am constantly being pushed outside my comfort zone. They persuade me to try new activities, think in different ways, and open myself up more. 
            When we hear the term manipulation, we automatically attach a negative connotation to it. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Who better to manipulate you than your best friends? As some of the closest people to you in your life, they have the power to influence you in the best of ways—and possibly the worst. You just have to be smart enough to know when to let yourself be manipulated. I know personally that my friends influence me to be more open, adventurous, and relaxed. They say all the right things so that they can get me to do the things I want to do, but am too scared to do. My friends are the ones who make me share my feelings, because they know if they don’t prod me into doing so, I’ll just bottle all my emotions up.  And they’re the ones who will stop me from studying and convince me to go rock climbing or go running in the Glen instead because they know I need to relax.  They manipulate me because they know they can bring out the best in me.
            And besides, what’s so wrong with manipulation if you are completely and totally aware of it? I can think for myself, but I also need manipulation in my life.  Why can’t these 2 concepts coexist?

1 comment:

  1. Manipulation does have a negative connotation to it. I usually prefer the word persuasion. It feels less harsh, and has less malice attached to it. I think it is great that you are open-minded! My parents used to tell me that a person with a closed mind never gets far in life.
    At the same time, I feel as though malleable also is the wrong word here. It makes it seem like you can be contorted into situations that you are uncomfortable with. How about flexible or adaptable? You make the best of your situations, and sometimes your friends help you to do that. Friends are great to persuade you to do dun activities. Without persuasion, we would never get out of our comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete