Monday, April 14, 2014

Just an Example of Real Life Manipulation that I Recently Encountered...

            I figured I’d speak a little bit about something I came across on the internet a couple weeks ago. It is a book called Missing 411 by David Paulides, and it concerns strange and seemingly unexplainable disappearances throughout wilderness areas in North America. According to the author, he has tried to get information from the national park service about these disappearances but has been met with stern resistance. He thinks that the National Park Service is engaging in a cover-up, and that there is some sort of foul play or secret that they are hiding from the American public. I read excerpts from a couple stories, and they were frightening enough to give me the chills.
            Going through this information, this class along with the associated ideas of manipulation immediately came to mind. I personally spend all the time I can outdoors, often in remote wilderness areas, and often alone, so I was especially frightened. I vowed not to read the book, as I do not want to be scared and worried while venturing out in the wild.
            I realized that there are several layers of manipulation here. The NPS is manipulating the author by controlling the amount of information that he receives regarding strange incidents. Paulides has apparently attempted to bypass this by using dogged research methods and scrounging out all the information that he can get. In turn, Paulides is manipulating his readers by choosing what information to include in the book. Is being intentionally sensationalist to get better sales? Finally, I am manipulating myself by choosing not to read the book. I tell myself that mysterious incidents of this sort are just as likely to happen in urban areas. I tell myself that the percentage of people who venture into the wilderness and do not return due to strange circumstances is miniscule. Both of these are probably true. However, it is just another example of the complex web of manipulation with which we engage in our everyday lives.
            Here are a couple links to information regarding the book if anyone is interested. As I said before, I find them very fascinating but also terrifying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAh02EB7SNI

No comments:

Post a Comment