Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Last Saturday

This past Saturday was beautiful, and I spent the whole day outside.  
On Sunday night, I stayed in KJ until 2:00am to finish my studying, and I'm on a similar (if not worse) track tonight.  However, it's hard for me to think of this past Saturday as procrastination.  I hung out with friends, I laughed, I threw a frisbee, I ate outside, I enjoyed the weather and I enjoyed myself - it was an incredible day, yet now it's left me with a consequential pileup of unfinished schoolwork.
The responsible thing to do would have been to go to the library on Saturday, right...?  All of these self-actualization videos and speakers say to take what you want to do and make that a career, but I don't think that sitting on the Dunham green is a particularly promising career path.   
It's tough to rationalize doing things for their own sake while living in a workaholic society.  While my Saturday was not work experience and is not something I can put on my résumé, I think that a day spent being happily unproductive is just as important as a day spent investing time in my future.



Here's a tangentially related youtube video that I found today and really enjoyed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdqVF7-8wng

No comments:

Post a Comment