Monday, April 14, 2014

College: The Best Years of Our Lives

We, as college students, are exemplifying one of the most prominent manipulations in our society, which is the expectation to go to college. I don't want to generalize, but I'm sure many of the students at Hamilton today never doubted that they were going to college. It could be just that they knew they had the grades and motivation to continue their education after high school, or it could be expected from their family. I am one of these individuals; I was fortunate enough to never have any doubt whether I was going to college or not. For a while I didn't know where I wanted to go or where I could go, but the thought of not going never crossed my mind. I think this is because many of us have been taught, or essentially manipulated, from a young age that going to college is the next step to becoming successful.

In high school, teachers talked about grades and classes required for college. First it was get good grades in middle and early high school to get into better classes, then get good grades in those classes to get into good colleges. Now that we're at college, for some there is still that pressure for good grades to get into a good graduate school. I think manipulation generally has a negative connotation with it. By saying the expectation to go to college is manipulation, I don't mean that college is a bad thing. I do not regret my decision to come to college at all. I couldn't imagine doing anything else after high school, or being anywhere besides Hamilton. So in most cases, I think the manipulation to go to college is not harmful by any means, because it really can make a significant difference in someone's life, but I know college is not for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting... Very interesting. I never once contemplated NOT going to college. My parents went to college; their parents went to college; by and large, everyone I have ever known has gone to college. It was just something people around me did; like breathing, eating, and sleeping (every once in a while, at least). I always wanted to go to college, but at the same time, I guess I never actually chose to do so. I visited and applied because "thats what you do" and when I got accepted, I came, because again "that is what you do". College just always seemed to be the next logical step in my life. I truly cannot imagine a world in which I didn't go to college. It was expected of me, just like doing chores around the house or showing acceptable manners and respect to others. Going to college was ingrained in me like my name. No one ever asked me "Are you going to college?"; the question was always "Where?" or "When do you start?".

    College is just part of our society. Now, some people don't go to it, which is understandable. But none-the-less, going to college is what we, as individuals and citizens of our society, are told to do. Macroscopically, 'going to college' seems to be an expectation more than a decision.

    ReplyDelete