Friday, November 13, 2009

Choose wisely (I TRIED TO POST THIS YESTERDAY IT DIDN'T WORK, HAD TO POST LATE! SORRY..)

***When I signed on yesterday, I wasn't able to post on the website. This had happened to me before, and usually with time it works again. Thats why I'm posting late!

The butterfly effect was a really disturbing movie, because not only was it kind of tragic, but it brought up the idea of multiple lifelines that we have. Each decision that we make brings a different outcome, in some cases a huge outcome that can change almost anything. Small decisions that we make in reality can lead to huge outcomes, and so one has to think, what really is the right decision? I seemed like the narrator could never get it right in the movie, Donny was a crazy freak, Lenny was super disturbed, or he had no arms. What is the right outcome, and is it Ashton Kutcher’s place to play god? I almost find it worse that after 8 years, when they pass each other on the street; Ashton freezes up, and knows he’ll never actually be with the person he loves. Overall this movie just really made me start considering the small choices I make, the little lies I do or do not tell. Putting aside the fact that time travel is real, the movies message was clear, choose wisely. Also, it made me think about all the "crazy" people in institutions; what if, just what if things like this actually happen? maybe all those crazy people aren't so crazy.

On a note about the endings, I really disliked the directors cut, just because I'm a sucker for a happy (or in this case a happier) ending. The fact that her miracle baby dies is so depressing. The fact that he makes sure he's never born is so depressing, I like the "we stay alive" ending.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you when you said that this movie definitely makes you think about the decisions you make in your life.I feel like we all go through our lives not paying attention to certain occurrences. Instead we brush off potentially life changing events as small and insignificant. I think that is something this movie really helps people realize. Just how much the things they do affect not only their lives, but the lives of everyone else as well. After I walked out of that movie I was really almost disturbed by what had happened at certain parts in the movie. Unlike the directors cut ending, I really enjoyed the original ending more. It made me like the movie a lot more actually. It made me have a lot of respect for Ashton Kutcher's character and made me think that he was extremely selfless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post. I really liked the bit about the people in the mental institutions telling the truth but everyone else thinking they're crazy. This reminded me of Man in the High Castle when Juliana discovers that she is in the book. I was reminded of it because I'm sure if Juliana told anyone that they were in a book, she would quickly have been institutionalized. Though considering it was in a world where the Axis won, she probably just would have been executed.

    ReplyDelete