Monday, November 9, 2009

The Complexities of Time Travel

I really really really really really really really really hate it when books and movies use time travel. 


The whole idea of it irritates me so much, that I can’t enjoy a book or movie knowing that time travel is a big part of the plot. Especially when it’s used to secure someone’s existence. I couldn’t even stand it in Harry Potter, and that’s saying something, because I love Harry Potter. 


The core part of the plot that she has to go back in time to keep her existence in check makes so little sense. Obviously if she exists she doesn’t need to go back in time. Time doesn’t keep happening over and over, so she doesn’t need to fix it. If it happens once, you can’t change it. And if she wasn’t born the first time around to save her ancestors then, then there is no way she could have existed in the first place to go back in time and save herself now. 


I understand that in science fiction novels, you have to have some sort of suspended disbelief. Unfortunately, to me at least, sometimes this plot device causes so much confusion that it takes away from the story. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally and completely agree with you. I think the point of telling a story is to get a deeper meaning across to an audience. I know that sounds so "Jill" of me, but we need morals! The whole process of time travel does take away from the story as a whole. It is just another complicated thing we have to wrap our minds around while searching for the author's message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, nice Morgan. Way to make fun of Jill. Anyway, I agree too. Sometimes time travel makes things way to complicated. But then again, maybe that's what the author wants...to make us think.

    ReplyDelete