Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Network of Choices

So, remember in my last post how I said I hated time-travel? Yeah, that still applies. I mean, really? He goes back in time to change stuff? I guess The Butterfly Effect makes more sense than in Kindred how she has to go back in time to make sure she lives, but I still don't like it. 

Ranting about time travel out of the way, I do believe that most decisions will affect the course of something, be it a day or a lifetime. No matter what, you can chose the direction you want go in, and so life could turn out in any way. I guess what was most interesting about the film was how when  Evan went back in time to make those decisions, he had a little more foresight into how things would turn out. Actually, he had an idea of how the future could be if he was to leave things the way they were with the option to press his luck and see how they would turn out if he was to change a decision made in his past. 

Invariably, each time he pressed his luck, things would turn out to be worse. To me, I guess the movie gave the message that you shouldn't regret anything. To trace a bad day or week or even a full rough spell back to one pivotal decision is a bad idea, because you never know what else would have or wouldn't have happened had you went down a different path. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the point you brought up about his foresight into events into the future, but I was waiting for you to mention his fault with his time travel,which you finally did that made me happy. I agree with you that you should accept life as given and not think about what you could have changed. Changing one thing leads to catastrophe of everything else in your life and everyone around you. Another thing to consider being upset about your life and wishing that it was better is selfish. What about all those other people out there that are less fortunate than you. Families with no clothes on their back, no food, no roof over their head. If one should time travel at least do it for the people on a broader scale not necessarily people you know but the ones that suffer every single day. But then again who knows what outcome that would result to so, it would be better to accept everything in every human beings life as given fate made it that way.

    ReplyDelete